Thank you for your interest in Will Carleton Academy
The Charter School Program
The charter school model was established in the 1990s with the purpose of providing parents greater choice for the education of their children. Although this freedom leads to more independence for the school and its leaders, charter schools must maintain high standards of achievement and progress, as mandated by the State of Michigan. Additionally, similar to traditional public schools, charter schools are tuition-free and must uphold open admission standards.
In 1998, Will Carleton Academy was founded by a group of mothers looking for a better educational choice for their children. The school is dedicated to presenting students with a strong understanding of the world around them, while also forming the character of each student.
Michigan law requires charter schools to advertise for grade-level openings for a two-week period prior to Open Enrollment. The number of available openings is determined by letters of intent to return for currently enrolled students, compared with grade-level enrollment caps, as determined by the Board of Directors. School information packets may be obtained from the School Office at this time, as well.
2021/2022 Enrollment Information
The Open Enrollment period will be for two weeks (as determined by the Board of Directors), our Open Enrollment period for the 2022/2023 school year will be announced in the spring of 2022. During this period, applications will be accepted during school business hours (7:45 am—4:30 pm) each day. Additionally, there will be two (2) two-hour evening sessions and one (1) two-hour weekend session where applications will be accepted in the school office.
If necessary, a lottery will be conducted at the close of business on the fourteenth (14th) day of the Open Enrollment period to determine accepted students, as well as a second lottery to determine the order of the Wait List.
A completed application file will contain the following:
- One page, two-sided application
- Copy of an official birth certificate
- Copy of updated immunization record with Consent for Disclosure of Immunization Information form
- Copy of Proof of Residency
- Special Education paperwork (if applicable)
- Call the main office to set up a time for a school tour (517) 437-2000.
- Submit a new student enrollment form by clicking the button above to download the form. Once completed, please return the application and required paperwork to our main office.
- We will communicate with you on the status of your child's enrollment & next steps.
A few notes:
- All mid-year admissions are subject to availability. (i.e. if a class is below its maximum size)
- Students in grades 7-12 typically are interviewed, and transcripts and disciplinary records are reviewed